Shooting range Rügenwalde-Bad

Southeast of Rügenwaldermünde, in 1935, the German army (Wehrmacht) set up a heavy artillery firing range. Administration buildings, workshops, warehouses and a small barracks were erected in the area.

The test shots was fired over an enclosed area of ​​the Baltic Sea or directly into an erected firing box that filled with turf could hold the grenades for subsequent ballistic investigations.

The area was visited several times by celebrities of the time and in the picture, Adolf Htiler, Albert Speer and producer Alfried Krupp inspect the large 800 mm. railway gun "Schwerer Gustav" before a test shooting in March 1943.

Hitler had previously visited Rügenwalde with Benito Mussolini and also Hermann Göring, Erich Raeder, Wilhelm Keitel and Gerd von Rundstedt were frequent guests.

Towards the end of the war, the main and most secret installations were destroyed and after the war, the territory was used first by the Soviet army and later the Polish. The military airfield in the area is still operational.