Naval Gun Battery Hysnes

Fort Hysnes was built by the Norwegian Army in 1897 and comprised 210 mm. guns. Intended to protect the entrance to Trondheim, on 19 April 1940, the  battery opened fire on the attacking Germans. Unfortunately, though, a power outage stopped the battle and the Germans were able to land troops in Trondheim unopposed.

During the war, the Germans modernized the gun battery and built a large Fire Control post (M157). After the war, the Norwegian Army again took over the  battery, which remained operational until 1998.

Today, a small museum has been set up on the site.