Gun Battery Hisøen

The guns on Hisøen were erected by the German army in the spring of 1941 and were intended to secure the southern entrance to Arendal. The battery comprised four 105 mm. guns placed in open ring positions cast in concrete and with a 360° field of fire. The guns had a range of 16 km. and to direct the shooting, a large Fire Control Post (R636) was built in the centre. Later, work started to move the guns into bunkers (R671) and two of them were completed by the liberation.

After World War II, the gun battery was used by the Norwegian Navy and during the Cold War, the area was converted to fuel storage for NATO's submarines. Today, the area is used for team building and leisure activities.