Gun Battery Vesterøen

In the summer of 1941, the German army began the construction of a gun battery on Vesterøya, in south-eastern Norway. The guns, captured in  Belgium, were intended to defend the western entrance into the port city of Larvik. They had a calibre of 120 mm. and a range of 15 km.

Open-ring stands were cast for the guns, together with a two-storey Fire Control Post for targeting. Bunkers were cast and tunnels quarried in the rock for point defence, crew and ammunition.

After liberation, the guns were taken over by the Norwegian Army and remained operational as Folehavna Fort. In 1957, Folehavna Fort was modernized and the guns were replaced by 105 mm. guns mounted in an armoured cupola. This battery remained active until 1993 and in 2009 the battery was dismantled.