This battery is located on a point, just south of the mouth of the Gironde River in the Bay of Biscay. Construction here began in 1942, to emplace the battery of 4 164.7 mm. guns. Because of how the Gironde River recedes southeast to Bordeaux, 60 kilometers away, these guns also controlled the entrance to the important naval base in that port. This was an ideal location for a battery, and in fact the French had previously had their own for there, Fort Arros.
The four guns were each emplace in an M279 bunker, all of them around a 3-story M157 command bunker. An antitank ditch was dug around the entire area, flanked by 75 mm. antitank guns, each in its own R670 bunker.
© Picture by Denolli