Battlefieldsww2.com - Remnants from second world war in Europe

Bundesflagge le drapeau tricolore Dannebrog

Gun Battery Estaque Fenouil

This gun battery was started by the German army in late 1943 and consisted of a Fire control post (R636) and four French 105 mm. guns located in each bunker (R671). Construction was completed in May 1944 when Field marshal Rommel came by on his inspection tour along the so-called south wall. From the beginning of 1943, the Germans worked to fortify the 860 km coastline between the Spanish border and the Italian border.

The gun battery at Estaque was built to protect the port of Marseilles and the main road to the north.

Forty houses at the bottom of Boulevard Fenouil were evacuated for and to make room for the piles.

On August 14, 1944, the Allies went ashore southeast of Marseille. The advance towards Marseille went fast and on August 28 the Germans surrendered in Marseille to French forces.

After the war, the French naval took over the battery and only the southernmost bunker was removed when the roundabout was constructed.

The rest of the bunkers are nowadays scattered around the villas.