Gun Battery Merlimont

At the coastal town of Berck-Plage, the German army built a gun battery with three 170 mm. modern guns. The guns were produced by Krupp and had a range of 29 km. They were placed in open ring positions cast in concrete and with room for ammunition on the sides.

To command the fire from the guns a large command bunker (R636a) was built. The guns were located in the first cliffs and around bunkers were built for crew (R621 and R127), ammunition and defense (R630, R105, R624 and R611).

As the war progressed, the German army began to build their gun batteries away from the coast, so that the enemy could be fought on land and not at sea. 3 km. Northeast three large gun bunkers (R689) was built, but these were empty and without guns when the area was freed in the fall of 1944.

After the war, the command bunker was removed and a large tuberculosis sanatorium was built in the battery area, overlooking the sea. The big building was removed in 2009 and today the beach with the many bunkers is reserved for naturists.