Feldkommandostelle Hegewald

Hegewald was the name of Heinreich Himmler's area in the ”Wolfs Lair”. Additionally, Hegewald was also the name of Himmler's headquarters in the Ukraine. The latter was built on a former Russian airfield 50 km. north of Hitler's headquarters in the Ukraine, ”Wehrwolf”. Construction commenced in the autumn of 1941 and by summer 1942 it was ready for use. In addition to the Russian airfield, the HQ consisted of several barracks, bunkers, a villa for Himmler and a military cemetery.

From Hegewald, Himmler controlled the German colonization of the Ukraine. Large populations were deported and the lush farmland was transferred to German settlers.

More than 100 SS officers worked at the headquarters and around 1.000 soldiers provided the defense. Between the summer of 1942 and the summer of 1943, the headquarters was frequently used by Himmler, but at the end of 1943, the headquarters closed down and moved westward along with the retreating German troops.

There is today a German military cemetery in the area and at least one protective bunker.