After the German occupation of Denmark in April 1940, Navy (Kriegsmarine) headquarters was established in Copenhagen. The headquarters was the command center for all of Denmark and in early 1943 was designated Admiral Dänemark. Later same year, the construction of command bunkers began in the Havreballeskov near the city of Aarhus.
In April 1944 the headquarter changed its name to headquarters Admiral Skagerrak and was simultaneously assigned command of German invasion defenses in Denmark. To get closer to a next possible front, the headquarters moved again in October of that year to the newly built bunkers in Aarhus. The commanding admiral was accommodated in a villa on Strandvejen 92 and the headquarters moved to bunkers in the woods just behind the villa. The headquarter was used for the rest of the war and is to this day still in use by the Danish navy.
In the summer of 1944, the casting of bunkers for a new headquarters near Friderikshøj began. This was to become the headquarters of the German air defenses in Denmark. (Flugabwehrkommando Dänemark). Placed on a hilltop to keep communications with the outside world, the headquarter was places in a large bunker (Fl250). After the war the Command bunker was used by the Danish military, but is no longer used today. A military signals station was built close to the command bunker after the war, and is still in use today. As a result the entire area is an active military post and is closed to the public.
© Picture by Martin Ambrosius